Thursday 16 April 2020

Hanging Chair

Over this time in Isolation I have been keeping busy. Creating artwork, cooking and in general just a whole lot of things I enjoy doing. I have always wanted a cosy corner in my room to do homework and things in. So, when I came across how to make a hanging chair on YouTube, that was it I was going to make it no matter what. How hard could it be? I collected the materials, a wooden dowel, 2 meters of material (I chose a tropical leaf pattern) which we ordered online from Spotlight, some thick white rope, and a snap hook (which my Dad had plenty of because he is an electrician and a handy man).

First I went over to my grandparents, my Nan helped me sew the material. After that in climbed up into the roof/ceiling and helped my Dad attach the snap hook to a sturdy beam. It was itchy up in the roof because of all of the insulation. 


We put it all together and Ta DAA! That's how I made my hanging chair, sometimes it feels like your floating! 


But, that 'cosy corner' was not done! I made a pouffe or ottoman to go with my hanging chair. I made that using an old Quad bike tire from our Quad bike. Then I cleaned off all of the dirt. After that I made the cushion to go on top, I used an old white fluffy blanket of my Mum's brother's and because he made it dirty, leaving a block of chocolate on it in the blazing hot sun of Australia (where I am from) is probably not a good idea considering it was white blanket, "Silly Uncle!!" 


I saved the 'nice clean' part of the blanket and through away the part with melted chocolate on it. I then used some foam from an old mattress and cut a circle out of that. I cut a ply wood circle to attach the foam onto so that the cushion had a hard bottom. I wrapped the fluffy material around the foam and then attached the cushion part to the ply. 


For the wire picture hanger in the background I used am old freezer basket draw and cut the bottom out with a grinder. Then I used pegs to attach pictures of friends and family onto it.









5 comments:

  1. Hi Hayley
    I was so interested to hear how you had made your swinging chair so thank you for sharing the steps you went through. Did you have to attach the hook to a sturdy beam in your ceiling? The thought that you feel as though you are floating is very appealing.
    I absolutely love the fabric you have used for the cushion on your pouffe...it looks very comfy and it fantastic to think that fabulous piece of fabric was not wasted due to the chocolate spill.

    I found it a little hard to read the smaller font on this post, perhaps you could look at making the smaller text bigger so it is easier to read?

    Ma Te Wa
    Mrs Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mrs Bennett!
    Yes, Dad and I made sure to attach the hook to the ceiling. Thanks for the lovely feedback, I like reading and replying to comments on my blog.

    I didn't make the size of the text smaller, when I posted it the first and the last paragraphs did that. I went back and tried to edit the problem but it wouldn't let me. So, I don't know what the problem is there.

    Ma Te Wa
    Stay safe and well,
    Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hayley,
    What an innovative and enterprising girl you are! I am a little envious of your creative talents. I just love the swinging chair and the pouffe. [I love that word too!] You are using your time in such interesting ways. I know you will be missing St John's. I think I could make the grid picture hanger as I have an old freezer basket. What did you use to cut it?
    Be happy. From Mrs Shaw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mrs Shaw,
      Thanks for the lovely feedback!

      Yes, I am missing St John (you don't say it with an 'S') Especially because I had just moved up to Intermediates and because we had a competition coming up in May in Napier.

      Although my friend Lea from St John and Rylee and I are communicating over the internet for a couple of minutes each day.

      I cut the grid picture hanger with my Dad's grinder. But you can also cut it with Bolt cutters or a hacksaw (the grinders quicker if you have one).

      Stay safe and well,
      Nice hearing from you,
      Hayley :)

      Delete
  4. Hello everyone!
    Sorry about the size of the writing. I tried to change it like 5 times and it isn't changing. Don't know what the problem is there. Sorry!

    Stay safe and well!
    Hayley :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about