Wednesday 20 January 2021

Float Your Boat

For today's Summer Learning Journey task, we had to make paper boats. But, that isn't all, we also had to test our boats to see if they could float. 

From there, if we wanted to complete the Step It Up task we also had to see if they floated with weights (rocks) and see what boat can hold the most weight. 

To test my paper boats, I went down to the river with my family. At our river spot we have a small flowing creek which I used to float the boats in to see if they floated in both still and flowing water. 

I found the making of the paper boats really easy and fun, my boats floated perfectly with and without weight, although once I added to many rocks... it sunk! But to be fair, it was already a little bit wet and so the paper had already been soaking in the water and there were way too many rocks in the boat. 

Anyways, without further to do, here is the pictures I got...

In this photo (above) I am holding my 2 boats, I also named one of my paper boats Bateau De Papier. I don't really have a reason of why I called one of my boats 'Bateau De Papier' I just thought that calling it 'Paper Boat' would be boring so I chose a country, used Google translate to translate paper boat, and that's how I got the name!

In this picture one of my boats (above) is floating down the stream

And in this photo, my boat flowing down the stream once again. I got sidetracked swimming and playing around at the river and completely forgot to get any photos of the paper boats carrying weights, but the Bateau De Papier did manage to carry over 10 rocks before sinking. 

Have you ever made a Paper Boat? Did you find it easy or hard to make?



2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Hayley

    Benjamin here from the SLJ commenting team.

    I love this blog post! Your boating adventure looks really fun, it made me miss going to the river and playing there.

    Bateau De Papier is a great name for a boat, it sounds so fancy haha. Is it French? I’m impressed that Bateau De Papier was able to hold so many rocks, you must be a great engineer Hayley. What tips would you give to anyone else wanting to make a paper boat?

    I’ve never made a paper boat myself sorry, so I can’t give any feedback on the process..

    Take care, mā te wā,
    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Benjamin,

      Nice to hear from you! Thank you for the feedback, and yes Bateau De Papier is French.

      I'm not really sure what tips I would give someone that wanted to have a go at making a paper boat, but I think that maybe you should have a back-up boat if you planning to put them in running water and placing rocks (as weights) in them, because when the paper was wet it tore quite easily and it got very soggy!

      Thanks again!

      Mā te wā,
      Happy holidays and stay safe!

      Hayley

      Delete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about