Tuesday 15 December 2020

Incredible Insects

 December 15th 2020 - Summer Learning Journey - Task 2

Today the Summer Learning Journey challenged us to create a piece of art work using nature around us, the artwork was inspired by Raku Inoue, a Japanese artist who only uses leaves, barks, flowers and other things found from his backyard to create spectacular artwork like these...

If you would like to look at more art by Raku, this website has hundreds of cool photos!



To make the insect in photo 1 I used, a Chestnut seed casing (for the body), 8 small twigs (for the legs), and 2 thorns from a rose bush (for the fangs).

And to make the insect in photo 2  I used, a Lavender (for the body), green/unripe blackcurrants(for the eyes), ferns (for the antennae), 6 sticks (for the legs) and Zinnia petals (as wings).

Here are the final results!
Photo #1 (above)






Photo #2 (above)


I also made some more insects, however this time I chose to make some butterflies. To make the butterflies I used petals from flowers, the pistil, stigma, style and ovary (the middle of the flower). The types of flowers I used were... Nasturtium, Pansy, Alyssum, Chickory, Shirley Poppies, Marigold, and Salvia. Here are the butterflies I made...










                 














3 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Hayley,

    My name is Shannon, and I’m from the Summer Learning Journey.

    What amazing insects! When I saw the spider, I thought it was real! It looks amazing, and the sticks you’ve chosen for the legs are perfect, they make it look like it’s moving! I never would have thought of using a chestnut casing, how creative!

    The second insect is just as cool too. You’ve used so many different materials and it looks amazing! It would blend into the trees super well which would definitely help the insect survive. What made you think of using the ferns for antennae?

    Your butterflies are also gorgeous. Butterflies can be so colourful and beautiful. Using flower petals was a super smart way to recreate these. Ka pai! They remind me of the butterfly wing in the Dunedin museum. There’s a whole room with a waterfall where they flutter round. It’s beautiful, but very hot because butterflies need the heat to live.

    What was your favourite one to make? Have you named any of your creations?

    Keep up the fantastic work, and happy blogging!

    Ka kite anō,
    Shannon (SLJ)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Hayley,

    My name is Zana and I am a blog commenter from the Summer Learning Journey.

    I thought the activity was very exciting as I love seeing everyone's creative and unique designs! I thought it was a brilliant idea to include an image of the artwork you intended to use as inspiration as it showed me, the reader where your creative ideas sparked from.

    I found your first two creations very realistic and almost scary, the chestnut seed body and the blackcurrant eyes made the insects truly come to life!

    The butterflies were exceptionally beautiful, the flowers you used mimicked the colorful patterns of butterfly wings well and I like the different colors, shapes and sizes you used. I can picture your butterflies fluttering around a garden.

    I thought this post was very well written and presented and I would also like to know if you had some names for these insects?

    Keep up the great work and I hope to see more of your posts over the summer.

    Ngā mihi nui,
    Zana Yates

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Hayley,
    I'm a facilitator on the Tairāwhiti team, just like Mrs Torrie, who comes into your school. I also came to your amazing school prizegiving last week, so got to see what a creative young lady you are! I can see further examples of that here in this great post! What an incredible artist Raku Inoue is! I love Japanese art, as I used to teach Japanese when I was a teacher at Matawai School. I still have a Japanese keyboard on my computer - this artists name would be written like this: らく いのうえ。Japanese is quite artistic as well, isn't it!?
    I so enjoyed looking at the insects you created! You've used some really unique materials and structured your insects to make them look so realistic! It's so great to see so many of our wonderful local learners blogging over the summer. Keep up the wonderful blogging and I look forward to reading more of your great posts.
    Naku noa,
    Mrs Williams
    Tairāwhiti Manaiakalani Facilitator

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about