Monday 21 December 2020

Tānerore!

Today I attempted and completed another Summer Learning Journey task, this time learning about Tānerore, Kowhaiwhai, and other Maori patterns. 

Now, if you wondering who Tānerore is, I made a Google Drawing and wrote in my own words, my understanding of him. 

After learning about Tānerore, I started to create draw Kowhaiwhai. We had the option to either use a template provided or to draw our own on paper. I chose to sketch mine on paper. Afterwards we played around with a koru design rotating and reflecting the shapes to created we a repetitive pattern across the page.

Then I was onto the Step It Up activity, where we did a similar thing but making our own shapes and designs to make a banner. In my drawings I used Koru (new life, growth, strength and peace), and the Mangopare, (hammerhead shark) I also chose to colour my designs!

I really enjoyed drawing these patterns, however I found some of them a little hard to draw! I made some mistakes along the way however, I'm pretty proud of my efforts! 
Anyways, here are my drawings...

My kick start activity drawing...

And my Step It Up drawing...

Design #1           













What pattern is your favourite?
(I apologise if my instructions aren't very clear!)
I can't wait for the next SLJ task!


4 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Hayley,

    My name is Zana and I am a blog commenter from the Summer Learning Journey.

    I thought this activity was very interesting as it teaches you about Tānerore who you are able to see often on these hot summer days and about the infamous kowhaiwhai pattern seen throughout Māori culture. Have you seen the kowhaiwhai pattern before maybe at a marae or museum?

    You shared some really interesting and educational information about Tānerore that was very helpful to read, have you seen Tānerore shimmering in the air yet this summer?

    I thought your kowhaiwhai patterns were both well drawn and I like that you used different patterns such as the koru and the mangopare. It is great that you added some information about the symbolism of the patterns as well, I found it helped me better understand your kowhaiwhai when I knew what the patterns represented.

    Although I like both, I think your second pattern is my favourite because of the colors you included, it really made the pattern stand out. Which is your favourite?

    Keep up the great work and I hope to see more of your posts over the summer.

    Ngā mihi nui,
    Zana Yates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Zana,

      Sorry I haven't been replying! I've been super busy! Anyways, Thanks for your feedback!

      Yes, I have seen the kowhaiwhai pattern! Have you? No, I haven't seen the shimmering air, but to be honest I haven't been looking out for it either. Have you ever seen it?

      The second pattern is also my favourite! Probably, because of the colours and it's more detailed.

      Thanks again Zana!
      I hope you have a safe and enjoyable holiday!
      And Happy New Year!

      Mā te wā
      Hayley

      Delete
  2. Kia ora Hailey. I am Kylah from St Mary’s School.
    I really like your kowhaiwhai patterns.
    I learnt that the wiri wiri is actually for the shimmering heat
    Please visit my blog
    here
    Mā te wā
    Kylah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Kylah,

      Thanks for you feedback!
      Have you ever seen the shimmering heat before?
      I will promise to visit your blog straight after this!

      Happy New Year! And I hope you have a great Summer holidays!

      Mā te wā
      Hayley

      Delete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about