Monday 16 December 2019

Setting Sail On The High Sea

If I was a voyager and I only could bring 10 foods, I would bring...
- Oranges and citrus fruits (sailors got scurvy and citrus helped keep it away. Other cures were potatoes, broccoli and strawberries.) I would hate to get scurvy because of all of the side affects like bruising, bleeding gums, weakness, fatigue and rashes.
- Canned soup (When sailing on the high seas it must of been cold so not only did soup help keep them warm it was also a good filling meal served with bread and crackers. 
- Canned meat e.g - Tuna (Things like these kept along time and were great because ships sailed for sometimes up to 6 months,(half a year).
Dried Fruit, Nuts & meat e.g - jerky (Food that was dried lasts for a long period of time)
- Water & powered drinks (Water would be super important when sailing as you can't drink salt water without dying, powered drinks would serve when wanting a little more energy, sugar and flavour.
- Veges & fruit (some vegetables and fruit last for a long enough time, of course not the whole time the ship is sailing but for the first 1-2 weeks at sea. Potatoes, citrus fruits, strawberries and broccoli are good because are like said a good cure for scurvy.
- Pasta (Is another item that will last along time like rice (read below)
- Rice (Rice is yet another good item that will last along time, if you had a sack, barrel or bulk pack of rice it might even last a couple of meals. 
- High energy foods such as lollies (they might need some sugar for energy as I imagine sailors get tired with all of the moping & scrubbing decks and mast pulling they did.) 
- Crackers & hard cheese (Would serve as a snack while out at sea because sometimes it can feel a long time between meals when you're working hard. 
Image result for tairawhiti Waka
Image result for tairawhiti Waka




Myself being lucky enough to step foot on our local Horouta Waka
image attributions are listed (below)
https://www.facebook.com/tairawhitivoyagingtrust/
https://www.wakavoyagers.com/

3 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Hayley,

    This is Charlotte from the Summer Learning Journey, and I will be commenting on your posts during your time participating in the SLJ.

    I enjoyed reading the list of foods you choose to take to sea with you - excellent choices! I noticed that you added lollies, are they your favourite food? Mine is ice cream but I think that it would be pretty hard to take ice cream to sea!

    Could you also try adding a photo to help readers to connect with your writing?

    Don’t forget to keep continuing to participate in our Summer Learning Journey in order to increase your chances of winning one of the awesome prizes!

    Ngā mihi
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Cahrlotte,
    It's Hayley! No, Lollies aren't my favourite food I just added them because I thought that sailors might get tried and ruin down and needed energy without sleeping so they might need them to keep there energy high. Yes I agree Ice Cream would be hard to take out to sea! What is your favourite Ice Cream flavour??? I love all ice cream flavours, so it would be hard for me to choose. Sometimes I feel in the mood for one flavor but not another. I will keep updating and posting more of the Summer Learning Journey projects. I will consider adding a photo to help people understand more about the writing.
    Ma Te Wa
    Hayley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Hayley,

      I'm sure that the sailors will get tired - lollies are a great idea to help that!
      My favourite ice-cream flavour is chocolate, what's yours?

      Thank you for adding a photo, I think it really helps!

      Ngā mihi nui
      Charlotte
      Summer Learning Journey

      Delete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about