Saturday 4 January 2020

'Reel' Girls Fish

T'was an early morning start for a day of fishing adventures. Dad herded everyone into the car and drove like a crazy man to the boat ramp. We jumped into our life jackets and were ready to catch a whole heap of fish. The weather was fine with a little breeze, should be a great day. Dad pulled the starter cord and the engine roared into life. We blasted our way out to the deep water, the land was vanishing at an alarming rate but Dad slowed the boat and said ''this spot should be good". We baited our lines and dropped them in. We waited and waited and waited. The wind suddenly picked up and we found ourselves drifting but dad wasn't too worried. The waves began to get quite big and were crashing into the front of the boat. Then it happened 'BANG' something was on the end of mums line. Mums muscles were bulging as she held the line, reeling and wrestling. We were getting excited to see what was coming up. Mum gave one last pull, the fish leapt out of the water and got off. Poor mum went flying across the boat and tumbled backwards into the water. We were gobsmacked. We all hauled mum back into the boat and it was decided that we should head for shallower water. Dad yanked on the starter cord and the engine gave a splutter, again and again dad pulled on the cord, but when he was about to give up the engine roared back to life. The waves were now really big. As we made our way for shallower waters we were all saturated from the water coming in the boat. It felt like we weren't going anywhere but the land was slowly creeping closer. Finally we got to the shallower waters and the wind had died down. We got our lines back in. We sat and waited, my rod started to jiggle then nearly folded in half, I was on. I wrestled with the line and kept fighting, finally the fish was at the top and what a beauty it was. I had landed a whopping big Snapper. We stayed out for a bit longer but nothing
more happened. We headed back to the boat ramp, the girls had caught the fish.

(DISCLAIMER) My story is based on a true story, we did go fishing in our boat called 'True Blue' (the underside of the boat is white with turquoise and the windscreen in dark blue that's how it got it's name) Anyway Mum didn't actually fall in the water and some of the 'above' didn't actually happen I just added some humour into a true story.  I hoped that you enjoyed!!!


Me with my fish that I caught!!!

1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Hayley,

    I am very impressed with this piece of writing. What an exciting story, very funny as well! You used a lot of descriptive language which made me feel like I could see the story unfolding in front of me.

    Very cool title! I like how you were able to include an interesting language feature such as a pun in the title of your writing. I can tell that you put a lot of effort into this story - it shows!

    Fishing is such a cool sport, I think that it is such an exciting feeling when you feel a fish tug at your line! Do you go fishing often? Have you ever caught anything other than a fish? One time I pulled up my line and there was a shoe at the end of it!

    Great job on catching your very own fish and what a cool picture!

    Ngā mihi nui
    Charlotte
    Summer Learning Journey

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about