Tuesday 7 January 2020

Learning To Walk Again

The Summer Learning Journey challenged me to share a story about a time you or someone you know had to face a challenging time and over come it. I am going to share a story with you about my Nan. Nearly 15 years ago my Nan was standing in a tractor bucket chopping down a 90ft gum tree (she was standing in the tractor bucket to reach where they needed to cut the tree) when the tree did not go the right way and feel in the other direction. The tree slid on the scarf (a scarf of the tree is where you cut it on the angle) and rolled onto my Nan's legs pinning her between the tractor bucket and the massive tree. My grandpa managed to pull the right levers in the tractor and Nan and the tree went flying in opposite directions. Nan was scooped up on an old war stretcher and the ambulance was called. At first the ambulance couldn't find the property (it was pretty much in the middle of no where) and when they finally did, the ambulance staff couldn't find Nan's pulse, but she was talking to them so obviously not too bad. After going to the hospital and having her wounds assessed it turned out that she had one broken leg, with a squashed quad muscle torn from the bone. The other leg had been de-gloved, meaning the skin had been torn away right around her knee, with a puncture wound at the back of the knee. After spending some time in hospital and armed with a pair of crutches and a leg brace. The doctors had told her that walking would be difficult and she may not be able to bend her leg fully ever again. But with a lot of determination, persistence and exercises Nan can use her legs fully but still experiences a bit of tenderness if she tries to rest on her knee. I am very glad she is okay!!! Do you have a story to share where someone has challenged something and over come it????

2 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Hayley,

    Your Nan sounds like a very brave woman to face a challenge like that and to overcome it, it is great news that she can fully use her legs again! This must’ve been a pretty scary time for you and your family - especially your Nan.

    I noticed that you wrote about tractors in this blog post, I think tractors a very cool machines and can be very helpful to farmers. Have you visited a farm before? What kind of animals were on the farm? I like looking at all the baby farm animals during spring time - they are so cute!

    Your Nan sounds like a good role model to have when it comes to facing challenges and overcoming them. Have you ever had to face a challenge that you overcame afterwards?

    I know a lot of people who have had to face very scary challenges during their lives, but watching them overcome their challenges has taught me to learn how to overcome my own.

    Mā te wā
    Charlotte
    Summer Learning Journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Charlotte,
    Yes, my Nan not only sounds brave, she IS a brave. I had to get my Mum to help me with this blog post (above) because I was not alive to experience this event.

    I have been on a farm millions of times since I basically wake up on one everyday. Even in Australia we lived on a farm and my grandparents did too!!! People say that living on a farm with small hand raised animals you get use to them and they become part of your life, however I don't think so because every baby animal is unique, special and cute! When I was something like 6 months old my parents took me horse riding and when I was 3 I was able to drive a tractor up and down the drive all by myself. I have always been an adventurous kid.

    Yes, I have had to face many challenges and slowly over come them however I have never experienced braking any bones and have to overcome them. Have you ever broken any bones? If you did what bones were they?

    Happy Holidays,
    Ma Te Wa,
    Hayley:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about